Sunday, April 29, 2007

Dancing defines my existence

We get questions about our dancing all the time: "Do you take lessons?", "Where do you take lessons?", "Is there any place to go dancing around here?" It wasn't that many years ago. I was a total non-dancer, even to the point that I made fun of people that did try to dance. Who could blame me, when all I ever saw as an example of dancing was various people that would dance at weddings (badly). You see, I never watched old movies, so I had never seen Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers; I had no concept of ballroom dancing. About 5 years ago we went out to a dinner/dance with some old friends. I really enjoyed the music. It was the George Rose Big Band (Big Band music in a Glen Miller style). My friend Leigh asked my wife to dance. I watched them glide across the floor to this great music (Now I know it was Foxtrot dance steps, but I didn't know then). Who knew my wife could dance like that!? I vowed to start taking ballroom dance lessons, and in fact it was this same friend, who made all the arrangements for a large group of his friends to start group lessons (A great way to start).

This part about the lessons is important because I really feel that I couldn't have enjoyed dancing as much as I do now, if it were not for the very talented teachers we currently take lessons from: Kelly & Brian Sloat of Art in Motion. They teach you ballroom & Latin dancing in a way that you can understand, & have fun. You can progress as far as you want to go, but the main idea is to have fun!

This last paragraph is for the guys: Women like to dance. It is very likely: Your woman likes to dance. I find this to be the case almost 99% of the time. I talk to various couples and the lady will say "I would love to ballroom dance but my husband won't". That husband was me, so I know where you are coming from guys. You might think that dancing is not manly (I thought that! I was Mr. Wrong from Wronglyland). As I look back, I wish I started years ago and didn't wait so long to get started with ballroom dancing lessons. See you on the dance floor =)

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Do only couples join? Or are there some partner-less people there too?

2:36 PM  
Blogger kshipper said...

Good question and the answer is: "Yes, partner-less people join too" =)

4:12 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

How does this work out? who do they end up dancing with? what if they are not well suited to a "strange" partner?

4:48 PM  
Blogger kshipper said...

When you learn ballroom dancing you learn "Lead and follow". This is the only place where the man is boss *grin*. He leads and the lady has no choice but to follow. The "lead" is felt below the ladies right shoulder blade (and through the hips). There is also an element of 'head style' that indicates direction the man wants to go. All those complicated moves you see on "Dancing with the Stars" can be executed by "lead and follow" but to make it easier on themselves they usually memorize a routine. As for the strange parnter: "Yes, that happens and you usually don't stand so close together with a stranger or when your first start taking lessons, so the lead will not be through the hips. Also...everyone there is in the same boat. They are ALL learning or they have been at your level not that long ago, so they understand your trepidation.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home