Thursday, October 27, 2005

Computer Museum

Hey everyone! Welcome to my Blog!
I recently visited a new computer museum here in Brantford owned by
a friend of mine, Syd Bolton. I took a picture of my very first computer the Atari 400 (right). The programs came on ROM cartridge or a cassette
tape. It took 5, and even as much as 20 minutes to load a program by cassette! The keys were touch sensitive, so you couldn't type very fast. At least there was no such thing as a virus back then. Here is the link to the Computer Museums website.
Be sure to view the Quicktime video near the bottom--It's worth the download =) http://www.pcmuseum.ca

I traded up to the Atari
800 which had real keys! Yoink! it also had two ROM cartridge slots and it was my first computer that I could buy a floppy disc drive for. The discs were 5 1/4 inch and held about 300kb of info. The programs loaded much faster and the floppy drive alone cost me $500. You can see the drive behind the Atari 800--It's that big chunky looking thing. I really enjoyed this computer. It was solid and reliable and the programs I enjoyed are still some of my favs. Empire of the Overmind (text adventure) Battles of Midway (text carrier-plane battles over Midway island), Miner 2049'r, Mule, Kennedy Approach just to name a few =)

I upgraded the 800 to the Atari ST,
which was the worlds first 16bit computer. The floppy disks were the very first 3.5inch drives I had used and my very first hard drive was a paltry 20 megs. The hard disc drive was the size of a large shoebox, and you had wait several seconds for it to spin up, before you could use it! I remember the price of that hard drive---$875 Gulp. I got this machine in 1985 and the hard drive around 1989 and I still have it today. It was the game "The Lost Adimiral" by QQP that got me hooked on PC's. My first PC was a 386 clone and the operating system was DOS, where you did everything by typing commands. C:\ tla.bat







2 Comments:

Blogger kshipper said...

Coolio!

10:14 PM  
Blogger kshipper said...

Thanks for posting Teri....you will find that prices jump with the price of Light Crude which I monitor via Konfabulator http://www.widgetgallery.com/. You can fill up before the prices rise the next day but there is no guarantee that prices won't fall again (as we are seeing at the moment) ---Very odd---we go from $1.50L to under $0.80L now. No one is complaining about the prices now. Fossil fuel production has peaked and there is no way we will avoid the upcoming reality that we are going to run out soon, and this will have a profound effect on everything we do. Prices will rise again in the next few years to levels that we can no longer afford. How expensive would a car trip be @ $5.00L? More reading can be found here:http://www.communitysolution.org/fcf.html about Fuel Cells and how they are not the Holy Grail that folks think they are.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home